St. Fergal’s College has educated many generations of people from the local and surrounding area since its foundation in 1937.
A committee was established and the site (which was then known as the Circus field ) was eventually purchased for £27 and a plan was drawn up, initially for a four roomed school, however the department opted for the construction of a three room school instead. It was completed in 1937 and housed three rooms: a domestic science room (now room 5), a science room (now room 3) and a woodwork room (now room 2).1937
The Technical School had only three teachers in 1937. Mr Patrick Hoare was the Principal, Mr Larkin was the woodwork/carpentry teacher and Miss O’Reilly was the domestic economy teacher. Martin Whelan started as the caretaker and continued to care for the school grounds for fifty years. The subjects offered were Rural Science, Woodwork, Mechanical Drawing, Domestic Science, English, Irish and Maths.1937